Thursday, April 18, 2013

Nouveau Stride, Fourteen, Lorraine Feather and Stephanie Trick

Nouveau Stride, aka Lorraine Feather and Stephanie Trick, had a great idea and they've made it work. Without a stitch of pretentiousness, they've taken some stride classics as written and played by the masters-- James P. Johnson, Fats Waller, and combined enthusiastic, swinging stride piano recreations with vocals that sport creative home-made, present-day lyrics.

Their CD Fourteen (ReLarian 1414) puts it all together and it's a joyous album indeed. Here's this slip of a young lady, Ms. Trick, playing stride with the swing and heft of the original masters. And here's Lorraine Feather writing mostly funny, always appropriate lyrics and singing with dead-on musicality, perfect feel, great swing, pitch ever-right, rhythmic and otherwise phrasing impeccability, and a very appealing voice quality.

I grew up on stride from a very early age on, thanks to my father's record collection, and it has always occupied a special place in my heart. So in me Nouveau Stride perhaps has an ideal audience. Since I know the music though I suppose I am also rather critical. In both senses Fourteen won me over almost immediately.

There are a few originals and they are fine. And they stomp out on a boogie-woogie like they were THERE. With their good humor and directed abandon the duo could probably take on the Teddy Bear's Picnic and stride the heck out of it. I suppose it's better that they didn't but you get the idea.

As it is, it is a thrill to hear great Johnson and Waller extended in ways that will I hope keep the music alive for a long time. Ms. Trick is a piano dynamo; Ms. Feather is a warbling songbird with great humor and a real feel for the period. Put the two together and give them fourteen chances to get you rolling, they not only succeed...they triumph. Bravo! Huzzah! If I had a rent party they would be the only choice, if they would deign to come. Yes, sir!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Grego! My stride sister and I were delighted by your review, and would be happy to play your rent party any old time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha that's great Lorraine. You two put a great big smile on my face! Now I'll just have to get those big ole jugs of whatever they drank and invite everybody. And hats...must have hats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That means a lot, L! Now to find some friendly neighbors with filled pockets and the urge to cut a rug--perhaps more of a challenge nowadays than in ye olde times!
    Best,
    G

    ReplyDelete